Sunday, April 14, 2013



When you look up Psalm 46:10 at biblegateway.com, there is a link to Psalm 46:10 in all English translations.  Now I like to look at different versions because some speak to me and others make me go huh?  However, in this particular case, it thoroughly muddied the waters! 

21st Century King James Version says “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted on the earth.”  Pretty much what I had expected

The Message says “Attention, all! See the marvels of God!  He plants flowers and trees all over the earth, Bans war from pole to pole, breaks all the weapons across his knee.  “Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me, your High God, above politics, above everything.””  OK, this is a figurative look at the Bible.  Sometimes I like it in the wisdom literature and it speaks to me.  This time, not so much.

Easy to Read Version says “God says, “Stop fighting and know that I am God! I am the one who defeats the nations; I am the one who controls the world.””  Where did this come from?

So, I ask you my reader, which version speaks to you?

1 comment:

  1. I still like the original version of Be still and know that I am God. To me that version speaks of God's strength and majesty as well as allows for some mystery. The Message just seems too wordy and the Easy Read sounds too much like something a man would say.

    ReplyDelete